my pictures

my pictures

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blogging For Posterity


Family is the most important thing to my existence. Whereas, previously, there were some periods in my life - especially before I had children - where I honestly wasn't sure what my priorities were.
 
I'd been in a tail-on-fire kind of hurry to grow up and went hurtling into adulthood, often crashing into my experiences. Although my parents loved me as best they could, they were in pain, and caused a bit of pain for us kids. We made it, without much permanent scathing, and we're all good -for the most part- with each other in present day.
 
Now, I know with absolute certainty, what my priorities are. Therefore, after much deliberation, I have decided to expand my ideas on this blog.
 
For the last year and a half I've been reading a lot of blogs. Seriously. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of blogs. I had become a professional troll, a voyeur and peeping-Tom. Maybe you're here because you noticed and wondered who I was?
 
Sometimes it was politics. Not the reporter-news-type politics. Ordinary-blogging-people-type politics. Who wants to read CNN or Fox News kinds of blogs? No offense, but that's too boring for an occasionally A.D.D. and immature chick like me. I mean really! Where's the fun or the funny in that kind of reading?!
 
Hardly any spelling or grammar errors on those news-type blogs. Almost no random cuss words. Nothing inappropriate. No jokes. You get my meaning. At the very least, if one must blog politically, some of us require a little snark, humor or sarcasm to keep it interesting. Just sayin.
 
It wasn't long before I found the political topic wasn't enough for me. So I wandered into other blog-reading territory.
 
I read photographers blogs. Teachers blogs. Medical staff. Book clubs. Sobriety. Addiction. Celebrity Gossip. TV show fan blogs. Cooking blogs. Writers. Editors. Gun owner blogs. Patriots. Veterans. Military family blogs. Humor. Religion. Family. You name it, more than likely, I read it.
 
Until now, I had no idea what I was looking for in reading all those blogs. I hadn't realized I was even searching for something.
 
There was something about the family blogs, ya know? Tributes written for members who'd passed on, anniversary posts, pictures of kids, grandparents, friends, reunions.
 
I know I know. Some of you are groaning maybe? Cuz you know where I'm going with this, right? Oh barf! Not that! But maybe some of you are excited? Can't please everyone, so I won't try.
 
There is something super important to me. It's my family. And it has occurred to me that some of us come from such dysfunctional beginnings, we hardly ever think about it let alone talk or write about it.
 
Don't be alarmed, I have no desire to walk down memory lane, blogging about pain. No no no. Pain-talk is my least favorite pastime.
 
But in keeping my dots connected as an American, I want to continue to document my journey. Especially for our two daughters! It's been fantastic to read so many different kinds family blogs. For me, it's an enjoyable and leisurely study of American life.
 
But my personal family history, due to a pattern of past pain and dysfunction, has never been recorded for posterity. Through blogging, I've decided, can do this. However, It's not just journaling. It's tying our lives together with the fabric and culture of this great country.
 
Stick around and see what I mean. I think we'll be surprised at what we can learn from each other on this journey. Remember after the elections when I said let's keep rolling? Well this is me rolling.
 
 
 
Twinkle and Moonchie, this blog is especially for you.



I'm rolling in a new direction.

9 comments:

FIREBIRD said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

And I'll follow because I love your style! High5!

Just a conservative girl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I, for one, am looking forward to it. You are one of my favorite bloggers. I admit I miss your political insight, but I too am moving in different directions in my life. Coming back to roots and your neck of the woods. I am moving back to CT soon.

Life changes, we shouldn't be scared of it.

Nikki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think that is a great idea!! Journal keeping is so important and something I am absolutely terrible at! A blog is the perfect way to document one's life. I think we both started out that way, way back when!! Looking forward to the journey and I think real life is better than fiction!!! My hands are up already....(like I'm on a roller coaster) :)N

Granny Annie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

First blog for yourself and let others hitch a ride when the subject matter is appealing. Most often your posts are fascinating and should not be missed.

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

firebird, back atchya with a high5!

jacg, thanks for your kudos. i'm sure i'll give an opinion or two about politics again somewhere down the line. good luck with the move!

nik, yes way back when, we DID start out like this a few weeks apart. i like that we're going back there together. hands up here too! weeeee!

annie, sound advice. and thanks for your cheer!

Pedaling said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love the nicknames for your girls.
blogging is a fun way to keep a journal! Then you can make it into a book. Treasured memories!

mCat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Um.....are you my long lost sister seperated at birth? 'Cause your last few post have me seriously wondering!

Family, man - it's where it's at and to me the absolute most important thing.

I also love the nicknames for your girls! Too cute

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

pedaling, thanks! yes, i've read about making blogs into books. i'm totally gonna do it!

mcat, yup, i'm your sister from another mother! so glad we're reunited. ha! family is the best thing on the planet. i'm loving it!

tammy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can't wait to hear more about your family and life. I need to get better at blogging and documenting life. It all goes by way too fast.