my pictures

my pictures

Thursday, December 13, 2012

NOT A Christmas Post

When I first started blogging and would go on jaunts of web searches for interesting blogs, I learned that I didn't like to do those searches during holiday seasons. Why? Because it was difficult to get a good sense of the blog if there were frequent posts about Christmas or Halloween or some other holiday.
 
I've enjoyed reading all kinds of posts by bloggers, but I've often been partial to blogs of the heart. I'm always "listening" for the strain of heartstrings when I read a blog. It's the passion in a post where the blogger just needed to put something out there cause that's where their head was at the moment, ya know?
 
So what's in my head today?
 
 
 
Auld Lang Syne
performed by
Straight No Chaser 
 
It's the best version I've ever heard!
 
It came on this morning and got me thinking about life (again). We're all at this new juncture as Americans having just held our 2012 presidential election a little over a month ago. We're all still making our adjustments to the results, good or bad by different standards.
 
And I'm thinking about the life chapters we each pass through. I'm at the beginning of one, myself. And being at the beginning makes me look at the previous chapters. How do we not look back before we move forward after such a historic election, right?
 
Sitting presidents have never been able to make or break my life, so I'm getting over the fact that Obama won. Although, I'm sure there are those who beg to differ cuz America is in its downward spiral and the planet's gonna explode any day now, yada yada yada.
 
For those of us for whom life continued on after November 7, tell me something. Do you like this song? Do you like what the lyrics speak about? I do. I really like it.
 
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And auld lang syne!
 
Here's my loose translation:
 
Should we forget about our past? Should we close the door to everywhere we've ever been? To everyone we've ever known? Should we forget about our past experiences and how we've been affected by them?
 
New in my life, right now, are many more like-minded people. It's awesome! Some are right here among my readership. That's pretty cool. Some are popping up in my real life. Fantastic!
 
Not to omit anyone who may be single, but I am loving all the married people who are standing like a beautiful bastion around my hubby and I. I'm loving all the married love pouring over us like a gorgeous rainbow.
 
Marriage has always rocked my socks! The union of marriage has been significantly improving my quality of life for nine years. I live at a constant slumber party where I laugh often without having to explain the punchline. 
 
So! How can I be mad about Obama when his insidious and discordant existence brought so many loving Americans into my sphere? I'm not mad at President Obama. Not that much. Not anymore. His attempt to divide our country brought many of us together.
 
By the same token, the sitting president will always represent a little bit of my past. Representing some people who still whine about what's due to them. Or some people who say America can go farther still to level the playing field, etc. etc. etc. 
 
Do I forget my past, which brought me pain? Do I forget the pain-filled people who caused me pain? Nope. I hope I always remember them. They brought me great lessons about life. They were instrumental in shaping my character, forcing me to dig deeper for strength.
 
How cool is the song, Auld Lang Syne! When we sing it, we pause to remember our past and our future.
 
 
 
Not a Christmas post, but a post in which we ruminate on our endings and beginnings.
 
A post about life.
 
Have you reflected on your endings and beginnings lately? Are you facing a new chapter in your life?
 
:-)

8 comments:

Pedaling said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ah, ahead of the game, i am.

as i read this post, before coming to your conclusion, i kept saying, "no, no, you don't forget your past, you don't shut the door, you don't forget!"

you get it- i think i get it too!

i'm pretty secure in knowing that no matter how bad obama's america gets - freedom wins in the end.
we will struggle through it and we will be alright. in the meantime, i'm trying real hard not to hate the dude...(trying to focus on-- it's the policies i hate and not the man) trying real hard!

that was kind of a negative note to end on, but it is the truth and it is real - just keeping it real.

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

pedaling, how about this for keeping it real: just last week i wrote an FB status about how much i loathe obama. i'm trying to move on from hating the man. i really am. you didn't end your comment on a bad note, you spurred me to comment back sooner. hahaha! like you said, "freedom wins in the end.
we will struggle through it and we will be alright." here here!

Nikki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I come from a long line of grudge holders and it's pretty easy for me to put up blockades. The past is there for us to refer to, like an encyclopedia. Sometimes it answers the questions "why" or "how come" but more often then not it keeps the residual reminders of "why not" or "why we shouldn't". I'm a firm believer that the Holy Ghost will teach us more than books(aside from the scriptures of course). The spirit will bring us warnings and calmness and a flood of intellect that can't be found by today's intellectuals. Obama in my mind relies on his intellect and when he is wrong, which is a lot, he just can't get over it. More chances is what he is offered and here we sit waiting for him to prove to be the master of all things. Playing Jesus with our money and promising so little. Your post is a great way to sum up the end of an era and the beginning of a HERE WE GO.....Let's do this! Kind of atmosphere!! I believe God always has a plan B, I'm ready to see what that might be. Old friends and new, the President is neither!! HA! thought provoking and boy am I long winded....:)N

tammy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great insight and great comments here. There are things in my past I'm not proud of. But I am glad I learned from those mistakes and made the choices leading to where I am today. After the election I thought, "Well, at least I have my faith. I know God's plan, and I just have to keep living my little life and taking care of my family". I was also thankful for my friends, both on the internet, and here in my neighborhood and church. Some of the best people have come into my life in the past few years, and like you, some of them because of politics. I guess we can thank Obama for that.

Granny Annie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

And this explains my marriage also: "I live at a constant slumber party where I laugh often without having to explain the punchline." Thank you for giving me that great explanation of my 14 years with Ron.

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

nik, i like provoking your thoughts into long comments! long line of grudge holders, huh? hatfield/mckoy types maybe? haha! i hear ya, nik. blockades can be protective. yes, spirit is always leading us rightly if we're paying attention. and i too believe that God has a plan none of us is expecting. i take comfort in it. "here we go" indeed! four interesting years ahead.

tammy, after the election those thoughts comforted me too: God in the midst and taking care of my family. we go on, live life. yup, as much as obama irks us, at least we can admit he brought us together. for that, i am thankful.

annie, oh yes my friend. a beautiful marriage like yours with ron, is a never-ending good time. yay for us lucky girls.

Just a conservative girl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am always reflective this time of year. I guess most of us are with a New Year upon us.

Today 20 young kids were taken from their parents and that I think makes anyone reflect on life and its meaning. I hope it is something that I hope never to experience. I can't imagine what those poor people are feeling tonight, 11 days before Christmas. Ugh.

As far as the election goes. Another Ugh. I fully expected Mitt to lose and said so repeatedly, so I wasn't suprised by it. I also feel that it may be for the best as far as I think people in this country need to see for themselves what these policies really mean and how it adversely effects their lives. So it may turn into good news and lead to a smaller and more limited government.

Time will tell.

In case I am not back, have a very Blessed Christmas.

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

jacg, i have come to accept what you suggest about the election results: it's likely for the best. you have a Blessed Christmas as well.