my pictures

my pictures

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Reading, Writing Through My Writer's Block

Just like most of you, I read a lot. I love books.

For those of you who've joined the kindle revolution, I don't hate you. I'm just not with you on that technological concession yet. I still need the feel and smell of book pages, thank you very much. I fear, eventually, libraries will become a thing of the past. I try not to think about it, but it really bothers me that my future grandkiddies might not have the library experience I did.

Where am I going with this? Well, I read a lot of blogs too. Today I read a blog post about writer's block, which I've been having a lot of lately. The blogger made that the topic of her post. So here I am too, borrowing her idea.

I enjoy reading political blogs. But they aren't my favorite. There's nothing wrong with blogging about politics all the time. If that's your thing, have at it. Seriously, we should all do what we love. I also enjoy reading a few favorite political blogs regularly.

But my preference is the personal blogs. We're here on earth to connect and relate to one another. We are each other's inspiration. Every creation in our entire world is based on human interdependence. So yeah, I like to read about human dynamics. Sometimes I find it in a political blog and sometimes I find it in a blogger's public journal.

I'm blocked. So when I'm not working, I've been reading, getting into the heads of my fellow humans.




I like reading Rush Limbaugh because he tells it like it is. He speaks his truth, doesn't matter if he comes off sounding brash. I don't care for sugar-coating. Give it to me straight. From Rush:

By the way, when I did a internet search for pictures of Rush, I saw a labels of him as a racist. This reflects the mentality of half the country, which I reference at the end of this post. It's pretty sad that you allow yourself to be manipulated by others in mainstream media. If Rush is racist, then so am I. So are we all.


Thomas Sowell, on the other hand, takes the scholarly and polite approach with his editiorials. I think he's one of the great thinkers of our time, IMHO. From Thomas:



If you want to know what community organizers do, this is it — rub people’s emotions raw to hype their resentments. And this was Barack Obama in his old community-organizer role, a role that should have warned those who thought that he was someone who would bring us together, when he was all too well practiced in the arts of polarizing us.


I have no Obama/Biden fanatics to quote.

I can take the liberal blogs in small doses. Have you ever immersed yourself in illogical banter? You come away feeling confused, possibly light-headed. You blink a lot and ask yourself, What just happened? Sorry, I have no quotes from the adoring mass on the other side of the party line.

And finally, I also like to read Michael Goodwin, a Foxnews columnist. He also writes for a major liberal publication in New York. I find him to be as fair and honest as a writer can be in crooked main stream media these days.


From Mike:

The Democratic Party has lost its mind and its way. Its political philosophy of inclusion and progress has been consumed by virulent strains of anger, dishonesty and intolerance. Its leaders don’t just want to win an election; they want to silence any American who disagrees with them.


Rush, Thomas, and Michael said it all for me. The media and the democratic party is a wrap as far as credibility. Half of the country has revealed themselves as either unintelligent or emotional or both, so they choose Obama no matter what.

So if you don't mind, I have other things I'd like to blogs about. I think it'll help to unblock my writing mind.

That's my truth and I'm sticking with it.

8 comments:

mCat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm like you. I like the personal blogs the most - have met some of my very best friends that I've never actually met that way. I like a political blog at least a day and I can't spend much time on a liberal site without my BP rising and my hair standing on end. Small doses. Very.small.doses.

I often wonder what my Dad (a minority, huge racist, chauvinest (sp), and to the bone democrat would say about his party today and the worlds events. He died in '81 before the demise of the democrats.

And before anyone thinks otherwise, the adjectives I used to describe my father are true. He wasn't perfect but the best daddy ever!

Sandi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm not a big fan of political blogs - most of them are emotion based and not fact based and they either bore me or piss me off! So not worth the time. But I do like the personal blogs. I found you on one! And Nicki, and BA, and a couple of other people who I now count among my friends.

As for the Kindle, I had my first one for two months before I decided to try it because I loved the smell and feel of books. But now that I've been using a Kindle, I can't imagine hauling a heavy book around or taking 3-4 books with me on a trip. I love it! And I was totally a non-believer when they first came out.

Granny Annie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We have to depend on these commentators to be our voices. The days of spirited, lively, in-person debate are over. In our efforts to "agree to disagree" most of us remain mute. One reason I admire you is because I doubt you will tiptoe through any room:)

Donna said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thank you for coming over to my blog...I hope you follow! I am interested in what people want to read about, I find that I get tons of hits when I hit their passion...my high school reunion..not so much. Maybe just how I did it...not sure. Love to hear a critique. I need some feedback!

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

mcat, your father and you is a prime example of God's amazingness. that a man such as you described would have a daughter who separates his human flaws from his loving heart!

sandi, yay for friendships started thru blogging! like ours, of course! as for kindle, i know that eventually i'll probably have to give in. ugh, it sucks.

annie, i appreciate the kudos :) i'm way less opinionated in person. but the good thing about being quiet, is when we speak people listen more aptly. not so much with parenting however.

donna, oh yes, i'm a follower of your blog. we can learn much from each other. thanks for stopping by!

Nikki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love this post because of its reminder of the greatness of blogs and writing. I'm not sure if I have made this point before but here I go making it again. In the age of one liners on tweets and status updates, I find myself in the lazy camp. Blogs allow us to go in depth and like you said, get into the writers head. It's much more intimate and the connection is so much more satisfying. There isn't a whole lot of substance to the democratic party at the moment and it's unfortunate that people can't rise above their marriage to social issues long enough to see that people in America are suffering. Obama has made liars out of millions of Americans when they repeat his talking points. As for books....well you know me. :)N

Pedaling said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm having major writing block as can be noticed on my current post..ugg. Romney won the debate. How's that for commentary. Oh, well.

I prefer books too.

I love personal blogs, but they have to have some sort of opinion about something, not necessarily politics-

Watching a few liberal commentators on a few of the various cable news networks is all I can take- I'll listen to them, but can't read the libby blogs...they make me crazy and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. Besides, what they will actually write, is often so vile...you leave the page needing a shower or baptism or something...it's horrible.
I might have to check out Michael Goodwin and T. Sowell. Love Rush, of course. I like blunt and to the point too- I'm not a sugar coat kinda gal, at all.

Right now before the election, I'm all personal blogs and my fave political sites-and there's quite a few....all my decorating and foodie blogs have kinda been put on the back burner for now.

namaste said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

nik, thanks! getting into people's head is such an authentic way to have friendships. as for people stuck on their social issues? oh boy, i give up! let's just vote. "obama has made liars out of millions of Americans" - that would make a great post! :)

pedaling, leaving the lib blog feeling in need of a shower is SO TRUE. sometimes i feel like i was at a peep-show, lol! me too, i'm on a personal blog vacay :)